27 February 2010

Daytime Emmy Pre-Noms 2010: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

Hey All! Miss Denial Island was nice enough to let me post my thoughts on the Daytime Emmy Pre-Noms. I'd love to read your comments about them too! Oh and if anyone knows which actors declined to submit themselves let me know. I keep hearing conflicting info...

For a complete list of the pre-noms, click here (Michael Fairman's site)

Here we go:

THE GOOD

Nice to see Alicia Minshew and Alison Sweeney in the Lead category, where they belong!








Terri Colombino is a shoe-in for the nod. She kicked ass in ATWT’s Brad’s Death storyline and she even appeared on camera without make-up *gasp* (daytime actresses equivalent to Robert De Niro gaining 500 pounds for Raging Bull.)





Battle of The Carlys (GH): Laura W and Sarah B are two of daytime’s best actresses so I’m glad to see them on the list. The Academy (or whoever the hell judges these things) has been notoriously unkind to Laura over the years and both actresses failed to get nominations last year, but I’m putting my money on Sarah B. Yes, the character of Claudia was a hot mess, but Sarah gave it her all and she’s got some great scenes to submit. How cool would it be for her to win Emmys for two different roles on the same show? (Has that ever been done before?)

Phick vs. Shick Round 575: Thrilled to see Sharon Case on the list! Plus, this gives Phyllis and Sharon fanbases another reason to verbally assault each other – what more could you want?







The Sound of A Million Moss Maidens/Ronnettes Weeping: Not only do I like Don Diamont (he’s come a long way since his beefcake days on Y&R), but his pre-nom is cause for celebration just for the simple fact that it means Ronn Moss doesn’t get a pre-nom.




Next Soap Opera Digest cover: Eric Braeden reacts to not being Pre-Nominated! Eric Braeden and Christian LeBlanc aren’t pre-nominated, but Doug Davidson IS?? Proof that there is a Soap God!






Can we just give the award to Drew Garrett (Michael, GH) now? GH does a lot of things wrong, but they've proven that it's possible to find younger actors that can actually act!

Pleasant surprises: Betty White, Ilene Kristen, Stacy Haiduk, Hilary B Smith get pre-noms.


THE BAD
Memo to Tony Geary: Yes, you are an Icon, but you are not a Leading Man. Stop putting yourself in the running for an award you don’t deserve (even though you’ll probably get it anyway.) Managing to show up to work 6 months out of the year is not a good enough reason to be nominated for anything. Put your ego aside, show some class and submit yourself for Supporting from now on.



Someone please tell me why Rebecca Herbst is on this list? She hasn’t given a pre-nom worthy performance since Liz’s rape story 10+ years ago, yet she continues to pop up on here. Admittedly, she’s perfected the art of the Snarkabrow and the breathy whine over the years, but this spot should be given to someone who deserves it (*cough* Nancy Lee Grahn *cough*)

WTF Pre-Noms: DAYS’ Nadia Bjorlin (I love her but…really?), GH’s Nathan Parsons, AMC’s Daniel Kennedy & JR Martinez, Y&R’s Bryton James (Again?? Seriously??)

THE UGLY

Justin Deas (GL) not being on the pre-nom list is an utter travesty! I don’t know what happened…did he not submit himself or what?? His performance last year during Coop’s death was the best stuff I’ve seen on television (daytime or primetime) in years. How did one of the most praised actors on daytime become one of the most underrated, overlooked actors over the past several years?



No Lead Actor Pre-Noms for Guiding Light. WHAT?? I don’t get it. Am I missing something? Can someone explain this to me??





People are glad Jonathan Jackson is back. I get it. And next year he sooo deserves a nomination. But what did he do in the two months he was on in 2009 that warranted a pre-nom?? Perhaps it was his inappropriate teary-eyed-ness in every scene. Why am I putting this on The Ugly list instead of The Bad? Because this is yet another (and thank goodness final) slap in the face to Greg Vaughan. A team player with a large fanbase, Vaughan was unceremoniously dumped to bring back the original “Cowboy.” Talented and charming Vaughan was wasted on GH for years, yet when he was given the meaty drug addiction storyline he stepped up to the plate and proved to be a worthy leading man. He was rewarded with…no pre-nom (for that year). Yet JJ gets a pre-nom for 5 minutes of screen time? I call bullsh*t!



Making good on his pact with Molly Burnett (Melanie, DAYS), the Devil has arranged for her to be pre-nominated.




More proof that the Devil runs Daytime: Jacqueline Macinnes Wood (B&B), Brittany Allen (AMC), Crystal Hunt, & Farah Fath (OLTL’s not so dynamic duo) all get pre-noms for Outstanding Younger Actress.






*********** ***********
Well that's about it for now. What do you guys think? Are you happy with the pre-noms? Were you surprised? Do you think anyone was unfairly overlooked? Let us know! -Melanie/daisyclover1938/SoapOperaBabble (and various other aliases)

15 comments:

  1. hahaha thanks Mel! I totally agree with you about JJ and GV, do not understand why... I mean, *how* he got nom'd... *shakes head*. Also not quite sure why Nadia has been pre-nom'd but hey. Now about MB... I like the actress! She's fun and quirky and Days has been missing that, and that comes across on screen for me, but when she has to do more serious stuff *then* I agree with you...

    More WTF's from me - not sure why Ari Z has pre-nom'd for supporting actress when she was clearing in a leading role in Days' frontburner s/l for all of 2009, but maybe she thinks she has a greater chance of winning than if she goes up against pre-nom'd lead actresses. I don't know. I hope she wins though - but she should submit the stuff after she was found out, not before. Before was just, get off my screen, whereas after, even *I* felt sorry for Nicole!

    Mel, what did you think about my fave James Scott???

    ReplyDelete
  2. My first comment! WooHoo! lol!!

    I was thrilled that James Scott was on the pre-nom list! If I remember correctly, he wasn't on the list last year, which was insane! He breathed new life into DAYS when he joined and I think he's definitely one of the best actors on the show!

    As for Ari - ITA - I think her chances are just better in the Supporting category.

    And Miss Molly B - well, we'll have to agree to disagree on her, lol!! She is the bane of my existence! Though I think she's great with fans and is a great ambassador for DAYS - perhaps she should get out of acting and go into PR instead?? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I happen to know JS didn't submit anything for pre-nom last year because he didn't want to lol

    ReplyDelete
  4. Are you serious? Why is it that the actors that *should* submit themselves sometimes don't, and the actors that *shouldn't* submit themselves always do? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so mad with the GH noms
    I think the TG nom is just stupid.... TG does not deserve it he should have just give up and give Steve Burton who was fantastic this year and had amazing Emmy scenes..
    TG didn't do anything this year the man should just know when he is not good and just give up and let the better people try..
    MB deserve it big time no question, But Steve should be there as well
    The lead actress were good for GH both LW and SJB deserve it I hope both will be in the finals and one of them will get it ..
    The younger actor DG deserve to win big time that guy is amazing talent ..
    But have DG who rocks every scene with NP is a joke I can't stop laughing, that KId that plays Morgan should have been instead of him .
    Younger actress KS deserve it But not JMB, Julie was great in 08 but not in 09 , Lulu didn't had that one great scenes her being there is also stupid another Luke child
    that nom should have went to the actress that plays Kris , that young girl was amazing this year with Claudia's accident and her problems with Sonny how could they not offer her ??
    Having JJ in the noms is also a bad joke the guy was only two months , he wasn't great that nom should have went to JT with Robin's PPD
    The same goes with KM she should have been instead of RH who did nothing

    Give the noms to all the Spencers makes me so mad Ok they are Luke's family but that is not giving them a free pass

    ReplyDelete
  6. Inbal/GH Lover: Thanks for commenting! You made some great points! I agree that JMB didn't deserve the pre-nom. She's simply didn't have the material this year to be a contender. I would have preferred a pre-nom for LA/Krissy too!

    JJ's nomination is a joke. That spot should have gone to Dominic Z (Dante). He's a breakout star, did some good work and was actually on the show in 2009, lol!

    I think next year might be the year for SBu. He did some great work w/ Michael and in the Franco storyline - actually getting a chance to show some intense emotions. But TG has to stop submitting himself!

    **I love your observation that all the questionable GH pre-noms were "Spencers" - JJ/Lucky, NP/Ethan, ReH/Liz, JMB/Lulu. You're so right!!!**

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks
    I hope SBU will have more S/L this year that can show his amazing talent , But with all the TG Syndrome I don't bet on it and it is a shame

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'll just comment on the shows I watch.

    LW and SJB both deserve the award. Since I know LW from GL first and just love her, and her work from GH, I have to root for her. Nothing against SJB, but everyone knows how partial I am to LW.

    Tony Geary should just get over himself. He's not on enough to make any sense. Yes, he's a good actor, but he's not on enough to count.

    I've seen Steve Burton act more in '09 more than any other year combined since I started watching 4/5 years ago. He at least deserves a nod. I've seen more out of Maurice Benard in the last year too. I didn't like JJ until he blasted Liz and Nick, so he should make it next time. Not this time. I still miss GV. I would have loved to have seen his version of blasting Liz and Nick.

    I'm surprised Sharon Case is on the list. She has been phenomenal with the shit she's had to play. Sharon Newman/whatever her last name is now has been dumbed down so much to prop up the the dumber characters she had to play against. Good luck to her.

    CLB has had his day. He's the best actor on Y&R at the moment, but it's time for somebody else--other than Tony Geary. EB had good stuff, but I'm on the fence about him at the moment. I don't blame him for standing his ground about his contract, but he was a bit over dramatic about it. That clouds my judgement about him at this time.

    I'm not surprised about GL. The show was so shitty the last few years. JD does deserve an award for Coop's death. I really think Grant Aleksander should be recognized for Alan's death. He was at his best at that time. And that's considering his past years back too with the exception of when Phillip found out that Justin and Jackie were his real parents.

    I don't watch BB, but I hope Betty White gets it just on principle. I love her in anything I see her in.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Pam!!!

    ITA w/ what you wrote about Steve Burton and Maurice Benard. They're good actors, but I feel like it's been in the past year that they've finally started getting material that they could do something with. I think MB has a chance at being nominated this year...

    So what do you think of Doug Davidson getting the pre-nom? I think Y&R pretty much wasted him for years, so it's nice to see him get juicy stuff to play. I swear, I've fallen in love with him all over again, lol!!

    And I'm really glad Sharon C got a pre-nom. It can be easy playing that character - she's such a damn mess, so I'm glad the actress is getting recognized.

    I just do not get the GL omissions. Justin Deas, Grant, Robert N...where are they?? I don't understand how it's possible that no one got a pre-nom for Lead Actor...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nancy chose not to be nominated. She didn't feel like she had the material and asked not to be involved. The GH cast puts their name in a pot and then the cast votes on who they think from the show should be given the pre-nom. The fact is that Becky's coworkers chose her. They voted for her. And the leads like Steve, Maurice, and Tony agree to rotate each year so their name is always in the pot.

    Sorry, Kelly Monaco. And what the hell would she submit? Having sex with Jason in Mexico? Yeah, that's Emmy worthy. Having jazz hands and going on coffee runs doesn't get you an Emmy nomination.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Jeez Mel, I forgot about DD. He's been great and deserves an award! With all the stuff with Patty and Emily he's had a heyday. And I just love him with Nina.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous, I actually don't have a problem with Kelly M. not getting a pre-nom. This isn't a Liz vs. Sam issue. I genuinely feel ReH didn't deserve her pre-nom and hasn't deserved a pre-nom in over a decade.

    You say that SBu, MB, and TG rotate every year, but last year's pre-noms were the same: MB and TG. Not sure why you feel that's a "rotation"?

    It's an open secret that TPTB dictate who gets the pre-noms. NLG had the material to submit. Alexis dealing with her daughters (trying to do right by them but not knowing how, losing control, etc...) was terrific - I felt that Nancy did some of the best work she's done in awhile. IMO she deserved it more than ReH and Carolyn Hennesy (who I love). So I wonder if politics played a role in it...

    Thanks so much for reading and commenting!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melanie - I totally agree with your recap of the pre-noms, esp. about my beloved Greg Vaughn and the nom for JJ for 2 months of screen time. There seems to be way too many WTF nominations this year. Its a shame that the process is so politicized.

    - Erica's Evil Twin

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think your take on the pre-noms is right on! Love Alicia AMC & Terri ATWT. Loved Laura W since her 1st day as Cassie on GL. Was worried when she took over as Carly on GH cuz I love her & was afraid it might not work. She kicks arse tho & I should never have doubted her ability to make the role her own! Love her Carly.

    However, I do agree and hope SjB wins. Her work as Claudia was just amazing & I miss her so much! I still hate that she was killed off. They could have had her pop in like Jerry Jacks! SjB's even got me watching B&B again...now that is fanlove cuz I stopped watching that show years ago. Just too silly & overdramatic for my taste now.

    Anywho - I totally agree with you about RH & JJ! I don't think either of them deserved the pre-nom this go round. Nancy & GV deserved this much much more. Don't get me started on GV. -another great talent TPTB could have kept -make him Helena's brainwashed mystery man & not the "real" Lucky. Geez, Guza...do I have to think of everything? Lol.

    Still, I would have had a very tough time choosing whether to root for Nancy or Carolyn Hennesy. I love them both! Ultimately, probably Nancy tho cuz I loved her since Santa Barbara. No disrespect to Carolyn, I really hope she wins! All of her scenes are gold!

    As for those not nominated...I really like Lexi Ainsworth. She has good scenes with everyone. I think it should have been KS & LA for the nom this time, even though I love Screw-U Lulu...not the holier than thou Lulu tho- let's get that straight right now. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  15. imgoodbackup, thanks for posting!! We agree on so much!!

    GH absolutely wasted the talents of SJB and GV! I agree, they shouldn't have killed her off. She could have been presumed dead, only to come back years later and really cause trouble. Claudia should have been kick *ss, but Guza really messed up, imo. And what's worse is that Claudia's death wasn't even done well. I feel it was rushed to quickly usher in the Franco storyline :(

    And I've loved Nancy since her Santa Barbara days too!! Julia was FAB! And remember, she and Mason had a daughter - Samantha. So I like to call Sam on GH: Samantha Capwell McCall Cassadine, lol! Clearly GH's Alexis/Sam are reincarnations of SB's Julia/Samantha lol!

    As for Laura Wright - it's funny, I hated Cassie on GL (I was a huge Dinah/WM fan back in the day, lol) and hate Carly, but Laura Wright is a Fantastic actress! I don't get why she has never been nominated for a Daytime Emmy...

    Thanks for posting!! And btw, I *love* your username ;)

    -Melanie/SoapOperaBabble, etc...

    ReplyDelete