01 March 2010

The Great Melanie Debate

This weekend something unique is happening.   SoapOperaBabble (Melanie S) and I do not see eye-to-eye about the character of Melanie Layton (portrayed by Molly Burnett) on Days of our Lives.

When Melanie L first came onto our screens in 2008, neither Melanie S nor myself were fans.  In fact, we wished Melanie L had been killed instead of her "then" father Trent Robbins (Roscoe Born).  Slowly over time (and I, unlike Melanie S, watch DOOL regularly), I have come to appreciate Melanie L's wit and charm; putting simply, I like her more and don't grit my teeth when she's onscreen.  Melanie S on the other hand, quite simply, can't stand her.  Needless to say, we have quite interesting (read: hilarious) discussions about her when we skype chat/IM/email.

Now that we have the blog, we've decided to have a debate about Melanie L and then post (some) it on here. Only now a few of our Twitter friends are planning to join us.  On the pro-Melanie L side is myself (Denial Island), 411 on SoapsPeter and Soap Opera Source's William; joining Melanie S on the anti- side is 411 on Soaps' Gigi (Gigi4462).  On the fence is our good friend over at One View on Llanview who also watches DOOL, Nicole (Disneysoapfan).

Stay tuned for the debate - you wont have to wait long, last I heard we were holding it this coming weekend (March 6-7)!  So until then, please post any comments or YouTube clips you think may help either argument, and lookout for some pre-debate tweets by searching #GreatMelanieDebate on Twitter!

PS. Isn't it annoying when the soap characters you *hate* share the same name as you? :P Mel!!

9 comments:

  1. WOOO HOOO!!! Can't wait for "The Great Melanie Debate"!!!!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When Melanie contains her volume I quite enjoy her. She's funny, and catty, and can be unsure of herself but she is supposed to be playing a teenager from what I can gather. Which makes her marriage to Philly K all the more icky btw. I'm still a Melanie fan, especially when she's paired up with Nathan, those two are a lot of fun together.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brooke, I have failed to see this *supposed* wit and charm you speak of, lol!!

    And yes, having a hideous character with the same name as me is awful, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree AngelOB, I love Melanie more when she's paired up with Nathan, or in scenes with Brady :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've loved Melanie from the very beginning, I guess because she's my daughter's absolute favorite person on the show. I suppose I'm a little biased because we've met Molly a couple times and we absolutely adore her, and she was so sweet to my daughter both times we met her, so therefore we cannot possibly hate her character because we love her so much. I will admit there were times, esp lately in the hospital bed, she was quite literally "whining" her lines, and that got on my nerves. Overall, though, I think Melanie is a sweet and charming girl, not to mention stunningly beautiful. @Rachel_Bryden (that's me) is definitely pro-Melanie Layton.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rachel: I suspect a lot of people coming around to the character of Melanie has to do with Molly. Not her acting...but the fact that she's great with fans. Molly is a terrific ambassador for DAYS and I'm sure she's a really nice person, but I'm not a fan of her acting. I've never met Molly, so the only thing I go by is what I see on my screen and...oh boy...do I hate what's on my screen, lol. I've only seen a bit of this week's eps (I'll watch them all on Saturday, I think) but her hospital scenes were *painful* for me to watch...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I one of those people who couldn't stand Melanie character in the beginning but now she is definitely one of my favorites.

    @Veronicatx

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can tolerate Melanie in small dosages . This past few weeks it's been painful and the awful pairing with Phil isn't helping. Those hospital scenes have not done her any favors. She has made Steph watchable for me LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lola, I believe Melanie and Philip have Anti-Chemistry. It's not even No Chem, it's Anti-Chem. They actually seem to repel each other, lol!! It's just gross, imo.

    -Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover (and various other aliases)

    ReplyDelete