10 March 2010

Most Memorable Soap Death

One topic keeps creeping its way onto message boards and blogs around the soapnation. That topic is Soap Deaths.

Now obviously deaths happen all the time on our favorite suders, but what makes a soap death that you will always remember?

Two of the biggest soap deaths that I will always remember come from UK soaps.

First we have Danielle Mitchell on the BBC1 soap EastEnders.

After months of story building we found out that Danielle was actually Ronnie's long lost, and believed to be dead, daughter. But when Danielle finally told Ronnie the truth her mother didn't believe the news and sent her away. Thankfully Ronnie found out the truth, so she ran after Danielle and well you can see how it ended in the clip bellow.



*Tear*

The next death came from Hollyoaks.

Max Cunningham had been an essential part to Hollyoaks for most of the shows run, but when the actor decided to venture out they decided to send Max off in style.

On his wedding day Max is leaves the reception with his little brother Tom and best friend O.B. to get a present for his new wife. But while trying to move it his brother is playing in the street. So Max does what any big brother would do and...well lets just let the clip talk for it self.




So those are some of my favorite and most memorable deaths, what are yours?

4 comments:

  1. OMG! Don't even get me started on Danielle's death! I still can't believe they did that. It was so cruel, to the character and the audience. The girl went through *hell* since she showed up and when we think she's finally going to find some happiness - BAM!

    And I still maintain that it was a poor decision story-wise. Yes, the short-term effect was great drama (I cried hysterically), but there was so much more story to tell had Danielle lived. Years worth of great drama flushed down the toilet, just for shock effect :( Okay, rant over, lol!

    As for the Hollyoaks clip - good stuff! I never watched it at all but I got into it. And the bride at the end, in her gown, screaming - now that's SOAPY!!

    Hmmm...should we make Memorable Soap Deaths an ongoing series?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Denial, it's me Nanci(missnanse) from Twitter. Will you follow my blog Coffee, Soaps and Me. Love your blog. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. ATWT: -Hal's death- Loved Benjamin Hendrickson & the way he portrayed Hal. Very sad. It was a nice way to honor the actor's memory by NOT recasting the role.

    AMC -Leo's death- OMG. Teary-eyed just thinking of it. RB's Greenlee was amazing & so were Anna & David. Leo's psychotic mother held Greenlee at gunpoint on a cliff above the falls. Leo struggled with his mother to save Greenlee & Leo & psycho mom went over the cliff. They never found Leo's body. Wish so bad JD's Leo would come back to AMC & we could watch Leo & Greenlee fall in love all over again.

    GH: -Baby Lila's death- Kelly Monaco & Steve Burton were extremely believable. It was the kind of performance that just made you want to step through the TV & console them. For me, it was also that it was a baby & not only that but it was so unexpected. I don't recall other soaps that have let a mother carry a baby first of all actually almost a real 9 months let alone then kill that baby off? The audience grew to love and hope for Sam's baby girl and when she died the impact was devastating. In part due to the nature of it being a baby, but mostly due to amazing acting & writing. The scene where SB's Jason holds a stillborn baby Lila behind the curtain and kisses her forehead. Uh. Killed me, along with all the moments that followed. Especially when Kelly broke down outside of the nursery in Jason's arms. (She didn't believe her baby was really gone & went to find her.)

    Those soap deaths stay with me to this day. Very memorable. Very sad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. imgoodbackup: excellent picks!! Ben Hendrickson's death just devastated me. It took such a long time for me to be able to watch Hal's death on ATWT, but they did a wonderful job.

    I actually missed Leo's death on AMC, so I'm gonna have to look up some clips of that. I bet it was amazing. I *loved* Leo - JD is a DOLL

    And girl, you know Sam's baby dying KILLED me!! I'm serious, I cried hysterically during that story. Kelly and Steve were amazing.

    ReplyDelete