18 March 2010

One Life To Axe



Recently the ABC Step-Soap One Life to Live has been letting actors go left and right. From the couple on the road to Supercoupledom Kish (Read the Big Kish-off for more on that story), to the latest news that Florencia Lozano has been let go as well, with more actors to come.

This made me think which One Life cast members would I axe? So in honor of other sites 'Wishful Casting' post, this is my very own "Wishful Axing"

First up we have to get the Veteran Axe out of the way...To long time OLTL viewers I am sorry!

Susan Haskell as Dr. Marty Saybrook. Okay this is nothing against the actress, she has impressed me as being a talented, worthy actress. The problem is that this regime does not know how to write for her, and has nothing for the character to do. So the axe swings on Marty first.

Next up we have Marko played by Jason Tam

Again this is nothing against the actor, I think he can do an okay job when the time comes, but really if Langston wants to drive a Ford, there really is no point to the character of Markko. He doesn't have a foundation, and there is really not that much of a future for the character unless they do something drastic and fast.


Brian Kerwin I am sorry but today is not your lucky day, because you are third, and last on my list to be axed off this sudser.

The character of Charlie Banks had a good run, he was a good character and was cute with the soaps leading lady Erica Slezak. But the time has come to wrap things up, the character's son has already been killed off, his relationship with Viki is on the rocks, and there really isn't much for the character of Charlie left to do. So I propose killing the character off and using his death to cause drama for Viki and Dorian!

Now of course there are other characters that I could axe such as Jon McBain and the entire Evans family, but I think the execs might be taking care of at least one of those suggestions already.

So do you agree with the characters I chose to axe? If not why? Also who would you axe if you were in control of One Life To Live? Let me hear your thoughts in the comments bellow.

4 comments:

  1. I totally agree, but please dont forget about Rex and Gigi... they need to go stat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Wishful Axing" lol!! Well I haven't watch OLTL in awhile, but of course that's not going to stop me from commenting, lol.

    Marty: I've always liked her but from what I've seen and heard, Ron Campivati does not know how to write the character. They've got one of the most popular, complex characters in OLTL's history played by an Emmy winning actress, yet he writes her as a boring wet blanket (and I'm hearing she's being turned into a jerk just to prop John and Natalie now???) If they can't write for the character, then they might as well get rid of her. Though whether Haskell stays or goes might have to do with whether Thorsten comes to OLTL.

    Markko: Eh...the character is okay and the actor is likeable, but I never had any attachment to him. What works for him is that he rounds out the 'younger' set, he's popular and you *know* he's cheap. ITA with you soapwikijohn, I'd love for them to do something interesting with the character, and find a way to make him more relevant to the show.

    Charlie: This is where we're gonna RUMBLE SWJ! I agree, Charlie doesn't have ties to the canvas and it would very easy for them to make Vicki a 4-time widow (RIP: Joe, Sloan, Ben). But I think OLTL would be crazy to let Brian Kerwin go. He's my favorite "newcomer" to soaps in the last few years, he's a phenomenal actor and I'd like to see more actors of 'a certain age' not less (not all the mature women can be paired with either CLint or Bo). Plus I have a massive crush on him, so you can take that Wishful Axe and swing it somewhere else, lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marty - I think the problem is that she needs the right leading man and John aint it. John has chemistry with both Blair and Natalie but absolutely none with Marty. Bring back Dan Gauthier's Kevin for her. Now THAT would be interesting, esp. given her pregnancy.

    Markko - I think he is going to be for Starr so they can start to move Cole into more adult storylines. I agree with Melanie - he's cheap, so axing him makes no sense.

    Charlie -- NOOO I really think that Viki and Clint should reunite (I wouldnt have said that if Amanda Setton had stuck around but alas Kim and Clint is not meant to be) I wouldnt mind Charlie hooking up with Dorian.

    As I have said before, I would like Thorsten Kaye and Alicia Minshew to move to OLTL. I think Thorsten is coming, but would it be as Patrick for Marty or as Zach with Kendall. I think the later makes more sense. Given that Zendall left PV to solidify their marriage, they could eventually move them into a triangle with Marty and Kevin. If they bring him on as Patrick then the story will be far too predictable.

    Who should go? Rex and Gigi. They probably arent cheap and lord knows they acting just isnt strong. Greg could leave too for the same reasons. If you add in Jared, Kim, Kish, Schyler, and Mitch exiting and Leyla going to recurring, that should free up enough money to pay for GT, TK, AM and DG.

    -Erica's Evil Twin

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah, I just started watching OLTL again and I'm still not feeling Rex and Gigi... But EET, did you like Rex before? I was always kind of Eh about him... I'm just wondering if you see him as being viable again if Gigi were out of the picture?

    ReplyDelete