06 December 2011

Roundup: Corrie Sex Abuse Scandal! Sons of Anarchy! JaSam Wedding! Bye-Bye AMC & OLTL!

Hey All, it's been awhile! Because of personal, professional and school commitments I haven't had much time for blogging, tweeting or even soap watching. But I'm Baaaaaack!!

So what's been going on?

The Happy:

JaSam Wedding

Finally! Jason and Sam are one of my all-time favorite Soap SuperCouples, so this marriage has been a dream come true for me (even if it was marred by more Franco Bullsh*t). But if JaSam has taught us one thing, it's that Love Always Triumphs. To me, JaSam is all about unconditional love *sigh*



Sons of Anarchy

Damn! This is the best soap I've seen in a long time! After hearing great things about the show, I decided to finally check it out. I was hesitant. Male dominated anti-hero shows can be popular but their a tough sell for me: most of the characters are unlikeable and a sexist perspective is sometimes present (Hello Sopranos!). But as it turns out this wild, testosterone-driven, violent biker show has a lot going for it. It's what Guza-era General Hospital so desperately tried to be. The action is intense, performances are terrific and it's got the soapy elements that I love: hyper-dramatic situations, crazy plot twists, cliffhangers, brilliant at it's best, contrived at it's worst. The thing I like the most? When you take away the Plot Points and the MacGuffins (those damn LETTERS) it's really all about the characters and their relationships with each other. It's their desires, needs, greed, narcissism, fears, betrayals, lovin' and hatin' that really drives the stories forward. Plus, I love the HOLY SH*T! OMG! ICan'tBelieveTheyJustDidThat! moments. I'm going to write more about SOA later, but for now I'll just say this show is Must Watch TV for me. Oh and...they better not kill Clay off!




The Sad:

Good-bye to AMC and the soon-to-be departed OLTL

I'm still kind of in denial about this. I've yet to watch the final few eps of AMC. They're just sitting on my DVR waiting to be watched. And I can't quite bring myself to watch what's left of OLTL. It's just too damn depressing. It's sad to see these beloved shows go and even sadder to know that this is signaling the end of the daytime soap genre as we know it. Saying good-bye to characters we've watched for years, sometimes decades, is like no other feeling. Only other daytime soap watchers really understand how heartbreaking it is for us.





The Shocking:

Coronation Street's Michael Le Vell Arrested For Sexual Assault

This has got to be the most shocking and upsetting soap-related story of the year. On Sept 30, Michael Le Vell (Kevin, Coronation Street) was arrested for rape of a 6-year-old girl (her age at the time of the alleged attack). The Corrie vet (he's been on the show for 28 years) denies the charges. He's currently out on bail until January while the charges are being investigated.

Boy, what do you even say about this? It's absolutely horrific. I'm just hoping that this is some terrible mistake, because the alternative is just too horrible to contemplate.



Ok all. Thanks for reading this rambling mess of a post, lol. I'm glad to be back and can't wait to dive right into the soap world again!

Melanie/daisyclover/SoapOperaBabble

2 comments:

  1. Michael Le Vell has been charged with the rape of a 6 year old girl? What?!? Oh man, if that is true, it'll make watching Corrie realllllly difficult :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, I forgot to mention it to you Brooke!! I kept meaning to. Can you believe it??? :( And he and his wife split up right after he was arrested, not a good sign...

    ReplyDelete