03 October 2010

This is Coronation Street: The 1st 5 Episodes



For anyone out there who, like me, loves classic soaps and is curious about non-US shows, here's a tip for you: Netflix has a series of Coronation Street DVDs available to rent, including This is Coronation Street: First 5 episodes & The Anniversary Special, Coronation Street: Farewell to Mike, and Coronation Street Family Albums. I can't wait to watch these dvds and figured I'd blog my thoughts here for fellow Denial Islanders who might be interested in checking them out.

First up: This is Coronation Street: The First 5 Episodes


First, a warning: I am almost a complete newbie to Coronation Street. Besides watching this dvd, the Farewell to Mike dvd awhile ago and a couple of random eps on YouTube, I'm pretty clueless about the show. So please forgive the lack of knowledge I'll be displaying here, lol.

Here's what I do know: the show premiered on December 9, 1960, in B&W, airing two evenings a week. From what I could tell in the first 5 episodes, the show is set in a working class town and deals with the lives of the various people who live on Coronation Street. A nice surprise at the end of two episodes is the camera panning down the street, listing the actors credits in front of their characters' homes - a fun way of letting the audience know where the characters live in relation to one another.

I enjoyed these episodes tremendously and found myself disappointed that I could never watch the rest of the show. Within just a few episodes I began caring about these characters and wanting to know what ended up happening to them - though the dvd features 'Character Profiles' which answered some of my questions (it includes character bios, years they appeared on the show, and their various addresses during their time on the show.)

A special shout-out to my favorite character on the show: Ena Sharples (played by Violet Carson)


Separated at Birth?
Corrie's Violet Carson (Ena)
and
Character Actress Anne Ramsey




At first, I thought Ena would be a character I loved to hate, but I have to admit, I just loved her. A churchgoing, bar-dwelling, tough, judgmental, busybody who seems to always be getting into fights with people - this character is hardly original. Yet, Ms. Carson played her with such gusto, dignity and genuine pathos - I found myself caring for the curmudgeon in spite of myself. I just can't let this character go! I'll have to try and find some clips of her on YouTube.


As most of you may know, there is only one actor who has stayed with the show through its entire run: William Roache (as Ken Barlow). 50 years of playing the same character is not unheard of (Don Hastings was Dr. Bob Hughes continuously for 50 years on ATWT), but it's impressive nonetheless. From what I've read on wiki, the character is considered a bore, but I was intrigued by him. What I liked about these first 5 episodes is that it dealt with realistic problems: difficulty in marriages, a mother dealing with a son just out of prison, romantic woes, and most intriguing, University student Ken's conflicting feelings regarding his working class roots. While being close to his family, and not wanting to be ashamed of where he comes from, you can tell there's a desire to break free and pursue a more intellectual and prosperous life. How ironic then that out of everyone, it would be Ken who remained on Coronation Street for his entire life.


Thanks for reading my Coronation Street babbling! I highly recommend this dvd to Soapies with an interest in soap history. I'll be watching the other dvds as well. Next up will be This is Coronation Street: The Anniversary Special. (FYI: The Anniversary Special and The First 5 Episodes are actually part of a 2 disc collection under the name This is Coronation Street, however, Netflix has them listed separately.)
-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover1938

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the information Mel!

    Corrie is a really good soap! I have not yet checked those DVD's out, but I will have to add them to my list of things to check out!.

    On/off topic a little bit- Ena was involved a huge storyline in 1967 when a tram crash left viewers wondering if she would survive or not! Luckily she did, but that storyline is being redone for the shows 50th anniversary when another tram crash will occur and this time some will not make it out alive.

    Ken....ugh... Okay I love Ken, but he can be the biggest snoozer sometimes lol. But you grow to love him lol. His character actually had an affair with Stephanie Beachum in 2009 and it was brilliant! The character of Ken has actually had the axe swing at him a few times from various producers over the years, but he escaped it every time so he is now the worlds longest running soap opera actor *tear*.

    Anyways I am with you on wanting to see more, there was actually talk of EVERY episode of Coronation Street being put on Amazon On Demand, but as far as I know that idea was put on hold :(. IF it ever is all put out I know you and me both will be tuning in to see all the great storylines lol.

    The one I want to see the most is Diedre's trial! This storyline got EVERYONE in the UK up in arms (including the prime minister!) wanting De to be set free! I still remember the quote from the clips "Do you have anything to say" "I didn't do it" with tears flowing down. UGH such brilliant soap.

    Okay one last thing then i will shut up lol, You got Corrie spot on with your description! It is a soap about the working class struggles, and it still is. While it is fictionalized and maybe not 100% accurate (as the haters like to constantly point out), it is a brilliant show and I have to say it is deserving of being the worlds longest running soap.

    Okay good post, can't wait till the next one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I grew up with Corrie back in the late sixties, early seventies and lived for the episodes that featured Stan & Hilda Ogden and their lodger Eddie Yeats. The characters back in those days were inspirational, characters you could identify with. Everyone knew an Annie Walker or Len Fairclough. Back in those days the Street had no pretensions, what you saw is what you got. The 1960s saw the best of Coronation Street with snappy dialogue, terrific characters and plots that mirrored real working class life. Once the jewel in ITV's crown Corrie is now a sad shadow of its former greatness, obsessed with Serial Killers and getting one over on EastEnders in its war to see which soap can come up with the most absurd and ludicrous plot of all time and all in the name of wishing to win some grotesque Inside Soap award. In an episode broadcast back in the 1980s Deirdre was over heard saying to Ken that Ena Sharples would be turning in her grave. Oh, Deirdre love, you've no idea how right you are!

    ReplyDelete