03 June 2011

Our Predictions for the 2011 Daytime Emmys!

Well it's that time again! The Daytime Emmys are set to air on June 19th! Check out our predictions, wishes and wtf reactions to the nominees.
(Judging done by Denial Island Academy of Soap Opera Arts and Sciences members: Brooke, SoapWikiJohn and Melanie/SoapOperaBabble)

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES
ALL MY CHILDREN
THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
GENERAL HOSPITAL
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

Brooke's comments: Are you kidding? Why is ABC nominated here, if it was outstanding, why is it being cancelled? I only watch B&B out of this list, but I'm picking Y&R.
Melanie's comments: Yeah, AMC stands out like a sore thumb here. I'd be curious to see what they submitted. Maybe scenes involving Palmer's death? If so, I think they've actually got a shot. Otherwise, I'll say B&B because Susan.Flannery.Rocks.
John's comments: General Hospital gets my vote! I agree with Brooke. The only thing outstanding about AMC is how awful it was, but they did hire Lindsay Hartley and gave me a little 'Cake' so I can't say it was all bad.

OUTSTANDING DRAMA SERIES WRITING TEAM
AS THE WORLD TURNS
THE BOLD AND THE BEAUTIFUL
DAYS OF OUR LIVES
THE YOUNG AND THE RESTLESS

Brooke's comments: *falls dead* How did Days of Our Lives end up in this category? That has got to be the biggest joke of this year's nominations. Sorry DOOL writers, I know you work hard and I don't disparage that, but seriously? An Emmy? Um. No. I don't care who wins this, as long as it's not DOOL, otherwise I'd demand a recount!
Melanie's comments: My heart says ATWT. I believe they submitted the final episode and boy was that a tear jerker. Could anyone really resist Bob/Don Hasting's "Our Town"-ish narration? And while ATWT's last year on the air was rocky, the home stretch was terrifically written and acted.
John's comments: I like ATWT, I want them to win, but I cannot say they really deserve it because a lot of the show was such a mess. B&B was just dull (even if Brooke slept with her daughter's boyfriend...again) and even though this will make (our) Brooke's head explode I want Days of Our Lives to take it home.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTOR
CHRISTIAN LEBLANC (MICHAEL, Y&R)
MICHAEL PARK (JACK, ATWT)
MAURICE BENARD (SONNY, GH)
RICKY PAULL GOLDIN (JAKE, AMC)
JAMES SCOTT (EJ, DAYS)

Brooke's comments: Well as a James Scott fanatic, I want James to win! Alas, DOOL never wins best anything (and often for good reason), so I'm going to say hope for James, but predict Michael Park.
Melanie's comments: James Scott is criminally under appreciated. I'd like to think the Academy can get over their prejudice against DAYS actors. The episode where EJ contemplates suicide was great, James knocked it out of the park. I think RPG submitted comedic stuff so we can cross him off the list. I don't know what CLB submitted, but he shouldn't be in the Lead category anyway. And MP won last year. That leaves James and Maurice. My heart says James, my head says Maurice. The Kristina/Keifer story pissed me off (because it served to pimp the men on the show) but Maurice/Sonny's speech by Kristina's bedside was good stuff.
John's comments: I really want James Scott to pull this one off, he has a lot of good material to pick, but it is all in the reel.

OUTSTANDING LEAD ACTRESS
SUSAN FLANNERY (STEPHANIE, B&B)
MICHELLE STAFFORD (PHYLLIS, Y&R)
COLLEEN ZENK (BARBARA, ATWT)
ALICIA MINSHEW (KENDALL, AMC)
DEBBI MORGAN (ANGIE, AMC)
LAURA WRIGHT (CARLY, GH)

Brooke's comments: How is there no DOOL actress in this category? Surely Ali Sweeney or Ari Zucker should be nom'd? Remind me who the pre noms were again, Ali was there, right? Um, apparently this is the first year Laura Wright has been nominated in like 20 years, so she will probably end up winning.
Melanie's comments: Yeah, it's pretty amazing that this is the first nomination Laura's gotten! While I'd love it to be Susan or Colleen, I'm guessing it's going to come down to Laura or Debbi. I'll go with Debbi. She was saddled with the totally stupid Soap Blindness/I'm 55 and Pregnant story - but managed to make us care anyway. She certainly deserves an award for that!
John's comments: Susan Flannery had the major cancer battle storyline this year and while it is true it's Laura's first time, I don't think it's her year.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTOR
JONATHAN JACKSON (LUCKY, GH)
JASON THOMPSON (PATRICK, GH)
BRIAN KERWIN (CHARLIE, OLTL)
DOUG DAVIDSON (PAUL, Y&R)
BILLY MILLER (BILLY, Y&R)

Brooke's comments: Cos he's hawt I'd like to see Jason Thompson win this, but I think Jonathan Jackson probably will.
Melanie's comments: Let's just get this out of the way: Van Hansis (Luke, ATWT) should be on this list, but he didn't submit himself. While Brian Kerwin is a personal favorite of mine, he doesn't have a chance. Doug did some great work in the Patti story, but that won't be enough to win. JJ's scene where Lucky goes off on LikNiz and makes his eyes bleed was a showstopper. But boy, Jason T did some amazing work in 2010 (Patrick confessing to Robin was killer soap). Jonathan Jackson will get it, but Jason Thompson deserves it.
John's comments: Jonathan Jackson all the way! Yes, Jason T had some good scenes, but the heartbreaking 'you slept with my brother' scene was brilliant and it allowed him to go all out emotionally and help fans reconnect with his Lucky after the loss of Greg Vaughan.

OUTSTANDING SUPPORTING ACTRESS
MELISSA CLAIRE EGAN (ANNIE, AMC)
JULIE PINSON (JANET, ATWT)
HEATHER TOM (KATIE, B&B)
NANCY LEE GRAHN (ALEXIS, GH)
BREE WILLIAMSON (JESSICA, OLTL)
TRICIA CAST (NINA, Y&R)

Brooke's comments: I'd like to see Bree win this one.
Melanie's comments: WTF is Heather Tom doing on this list? The other nominees are great. I'm going with Nancy Lee Grahn.
John's comments: Heather 'I did nothing' Tom nominated herself? For what exactly??? MCE is my pick. I think they all did good stuff but Annie was amazing and I would like to see her win.

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTOR
SCOTT CLIFTON (LIAM, B&B)
CHANDLER MASSEY (WILL, DAYS)
CHAD DUELL (MICHAEL, GH)

Brooke's comments: Chad Duell ftw!
Melanie's comments: *Yawn* Chad, I guess...
John's comments: Scott Clifton, only because he might have two soaps voting for him...

OUTSTANDING YOUNGER ACTRESS
BRITTANY ALLEN (MARISSA, AMC)
LEXI AINSWORTH (KRISTINA, GH)
EMILY O'BRIEN (JANA, Y&R)

Brooke's comments: Maybe Lexi. What's with only three noms for the younger actor/actress categories this year?
Melanie's comments: Brittany Allen?? Seriously?? Well, at least Molly Burnett isn't one of the nominees. Not sure what Emily submitted. I'll go with Lexi, who gave a great performance in the Kristina/Keifer abuse story.
John's comments: Emily??? Emily thinks she deserves the nod? What for? Making the world hate Jana even more than they already did? Go Lexi!

Well that's our take on the nominations! What about you guys? Who do you think is going to win? Who are you rooting for? Who's missing? Which nominations are undeserved? Let us know!

-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

1 comment:

  1. I just found out that Smile Train is going to have a featured spot on the Daytime Emmys. They do such good work for people all over the world. What a wonderful way to share the smiles!

    ReplyDelete