21 December 2010

A Hollyoaks To Root For


Since executive producer Paul Marquess took over Hollyoaks at the start of 2010, I have been giving him a hard time because on paper his desicions have been questionable to say the least on paper. But once I saw the stories play out I started to see things in a different light.

The biggest screw up on paper appeared to be the apperance of Kevin the Alien. yes non-hollyoaks viewers I said alien, my guess is that Kevin is Casey's British cousin or something. But after watching the story play out I found myself enjoying the story for the message it was trying to share with viewers. It was a message that those in collage are very acustomed, that is always to keep your mind open! Don't be scared to ask quesions and form your own beliefs because it is worth it in the end and if you do not do these things than we saw the consequences play out. At the end of the story the show made a smart choice in leaving the truth shout kevin's heritage under wraps and up to the viewers to decide.

The second controversial story choice was the end of Steph's storyline. When I first read how they were going to write out the character of Steph I was less than amused but as Steph found out she has cancer and slowly started getting worse I found myself accepting
The story and I was ready for a tearful cancer caused death akin to Belle on Home and Away. Only Marquess had other plans, thus we got Inferno week. the character of Steph was finally going to make her mark as she jumped into the flames and saved the lives of Amy Barnes and her two childeren. Only when it came time for Steph to save herself she decide she had enough and told Gilly to let her go. Ar that point tears were flowing down my eyes, "No, Steph Don't!!!" I shouted, praying that Gilly would find a way to save her, but it was too late, Steph was gone.

These scenes were brilliant, by far my favorite soap death that I have seen, and it made me proud to be a hollyoaks fan, and that is something I have not been able to say in a very long time.

Then we have the amazing Jasmine/Jason storyline. This is a brilliant start to a transgender story that has the potential to go either way. Rhys and Jaquie's slow building romance has been cute and Ste and Brendan heartbreaking.

I have generally loved this show and I cannot wait to see what happens next. Are you enjoying Hollyoaks? What about the marquess era are you loving?

No comments:

Post a Comment