27 December 2010

My Coronation Street History



The worlds longest running scripted television show is itv's Coronation street. This landmark show hit the big 5-0 on December 9th 2010, and to commemorate this historic event I wanted to take a moment and look back on the few Corrie filled years I have been watching and discuss what I have liked, what I have disliked, what shocked me and what let me down. So without further ado let's get on with it shall we?

I started watching Coronation Street in 2008 when news came out that the series would be embarking on a new type of story using the '24' real-time storytelling model. That was to be focused on Tony Gordons stagdo and would end in the death of Liam Connor. I slowly got hooked into the street as the characters started to slowly feel like family.

The year progressed and I saw Tony Gordon become the evil mastermind that would have given ol Stefano Dimera a run for his money back in his hayday.

Meanwhile Peter Barlow returned to the street, son in hand, and made the statement every alcoholic makes "I am not a drunk, I know when to stop" *rolls eyes and ques alcoholism storyline*

But than something happened. The writers saw a spark between Kevin Webster and Molly Dobbs. An Affair was to begin, and the character assassination of one of my favorite characters would be taken place right before my eyes. I couldn't stand it, so I tuned out of the soap for the whole affair!

Then the sad news came out that Maggie Jones (Blanche) had died, so I tuned back in to see how the character would be written out of the program. It was touching, and poignant and I saw the Coronation Street I once loved once again. So I continued to watch.

I have seen the entire 'Sophie and Sian' storyline play out, and that is why in September I made the post discussing my negative take on the way Coronation Street outed the couple. I still stand by those comments, I understand that others see the connection between Hayley and Roy, and that it was a good time to out them and provided a lot of stories, but I still feel that it was a crummy way and it was very plot pointed and not realistic, but that's just me, so let's agree to disagree on that point shall we?

Siege week took place over the summer as well, and with it the end of Tony Gordon. I am glad that I got to see the Tony Gordon storyline, while it was over the top at times and not 'realistic', it was a fun soap villians final stand, and i was glued to my screen waiting to find out who would survive.

This leads me to the 50th anniversary tram crash-

I LOVE the event, I think it was brilliantly done and made perfect sense to have happened the way that it did. The Live episode was FLAWLESS and kicked the pants off of EastEnders 25th. But with that said, the promotional material for the series ran with the tagline "four funerals and a wedding" and I think it was a MASSIVE cop out to have the 4th death be the bus driver. It was lame, and pointless. Yes it kept people discussing to the bitter end who the final death would be, but really, was lying to your viewers really worth it?

In closing, I just want to say that I am a BIG Coronation Street fan. I may not always enjoy the stories, sometimes I may even tune out, but at the end of the day I do love the street, and I am looking forward to seeing what the series has in stall for me for the next 50 years, because I will be watching, and I hope that it is as fun as the first 50 years have been.

What are some of your favorite Coronation Street memories? Feel free to share them and discuss in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment