30 May 2010

Why General Hospital's Prison Rape Storyline Hasn't Gone Far Enough!

Could this post be the highest debated topic that Denial Island has ever seen? Well we will just have to see won't we?

First off I want to state that I am not "PRO Prison rape" or "Pro rape" period. I think this is a serious topic, and as such it should be treated with the respect that every other type of storyline deserves. Now with that said I have been let down by the on-going prison rape storyline on ABC's General Hospital.

The story so far has not challenged the convention of daytime television. It has stayed within its cushy boundaries to tell a storyline they may or may not be happening, leaving the 'true' details up to the viewers imagination. This is a MAJOR cop-out for what is potentially the most controversial and realistic storyline that Daytime has handled in the last 10-15 years.

This has absolutely nothing to do with Drew Garret vs. Chad Duell, I think they are both talented actors, one was much beloved by fans, while the other was tossed into the role during the climatic point of the storyline. So it is in no way about who is better. I think if this storyline is done right (which I have no faith in it being) then Chad could completely make us forget about that 'Drew' character. But the way things are going I think this will be another blimpish on Genearl Hospital's record for taking storylines to the deeper level.

Now one might argue that it is because it is a soap, and it shouldn't really challange the ideals behind soap opera storytelling. But I think that is complete and utter bull. Soap Opera's around the world are constantly pushing buttons, going to places that NO other type of programming is willing to go. As a result they are constantly in the news as being fined or going under review by regulators. When was the last time a regulator even glanced at a soap opera for anything more then to say that them gay boys and girls kissing isn't what middle America want's to see? Oh wait that was just CBS and ABC not any form of regulatory authority.

I have high hopes and expectations from soaps, probably to high for my own good, but when a soap wants to tackle a 'real' issue that is on-going in our everyday lives then I expect them to come out and flat out say it. No I don't need to 'see' the rape taking place, but I need to see a lot more then a "Your going to pay" and a blood test. They could have the rapist the day after 'allude' to it by saying "See you in the showers, hope you don't drop the soap again" and constantly make us 'feel' as if the rape had happened, leaving not a bit of doubt in the viewers mind that 'this is what happened to Micheal'.

Am I going to far? Did General Hospital do what it needed to do for you as a fan? Or was this yet another let down for a soap that keeps letting its viewers down? Let me know what you guys think in the comments below.

No comments:

Post a Comment