06 May 2010

My Thoughts On Chad Duell and the Recasting of Micheal on General Hospital


So Chad Duell has been in the role of Michael Corinthos III for a little bit now, and I feel like I have given it enough time that I can actually comment on the subject without being completely bias, or jumping on the poor guy during his first few days.

Chad came into the role with a very controversial ousting of Drew Garrett, for whatever behind the scenes reasons it may or may not be. So I do not hold that against Chad, but with that said the acting ability between the two actors is night and day, and unfortunately for Chad he is not the better actor.

Chad is by no stretch of the imagination a horrible actor, he does an okay job with the material he is being given, but the problem is that Drew was able to do such a wonderful job with every scene he was given that any recast that was not phenomenal would always just fall flat.

IF Chad had come into the role from the start I really don't think I would mind him, he is like i said, an alright actor. But the comparison to Drew will never stop, just like the comparison to Jonathan Jackson's portrayal of Lucky Spencer was always held up high when people compared to that of those Greg Vaughan and Jacob Young.

Does that mean it is right? No, it doesn't, but in a day when the industry is dying and very few actors can inspire viewers to tune in every day, Chad does not make a fair compromise for the ousting of Drew, especially when there has never been (and probably will never be) an official statement by ABC about the "REAL" reason Drew was fired.

Do you agree with my thoughts on Chad? Am I being to hard on the guy? Or is he what Micheal C should have been from the start? Let me hear your thoughts in the comments below.

2 comments:

  1. So far, I do think that Drew Garrett was the better actor. I think that kid was able to show way more emotion, no matter what the scene was. But also, Garrett had been on screen for about a year and Chad Duell just began. And my opinion could change after he gets more screen time. I definitely think, in time, he will be able to make his own Michael. We're led to believe that they want to take Michael in a new direction so we can't expect him to portray Michael exactly like Garrett's because then what's the point? Though I don't agree with the recast, what's done is done and I think Chad Duell is slowly getting into his comfort zone and it's showing in his acting. His acting on Friday was 10x better than his first day, as it should be.

    Nice post. Glad to hear peoples thoughts without completely ripping apart one of the actors.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for commenting!

    I do think he will improve, and become a better actor as he becomes more comfortable. And I completely agree with reading others thoughts that don't take apart these actors till there is only bits and pieces left.

    The problem is most online bloggers just don't think, they write these horrible post with every emotion that they feel pouring out, and don't actually take into account that these actors HAVE FEELINGS, and that while the blogger may have a right to his or her own opinion, there is a nicer way to express it then "THEY SUCK" "Bring back the old one" "WHY IS ___ ON MY SCREEN?"

    *cough* ....okay so maybe I have done that before, but I am trying to be better lol.

    Anyways thanks for commenting and I hope you will continue to comment as we go along!

    ReplyDelete