19 May 2011

Days of our Passions? An Analysis of the New Head Writers at Days of our Lives

As we all now know Days of our Lives has two new head writers: Marlene McPherson & Darrell Ray Thomas, Jr., and both come from the former NBC sudser Passions, but what does that really mean for the state of the Days? As the resident Passions guru (only second to our pal @peter_adams) I was given the task of analyzing this news.

So let's talk about the good first - Dena H is GONE!

These head writers have been a part of some amazing stories. Passions was really well known for it's big sweeping summer stories aka Vendetta, Red, Stalker, etc. All of them were big umbrella stories and had a lot of good going on within the show and made it must see tv while it was on.

The bad-
Where do I start? The supernatural aspect of the show was awesome in the early years when they were committed to it, but became an after thought at the end. The show did stupid things such as the revelation that the stalker was really Vincent who was a hermapherdite...ugh now I will say that the original story with it being 2 stalkers and one being Beth made a lot more sense but hey who cares.

Also in the end there was a lot of bad dialog and stories. I mean the whole Theresa hiding in disguise as some mob queen tried to kill her was just foolishness and awful. But I really believe that was more JER recycling stories than anything else.

So at the end I am really optimistic, there is a lot of potential here for good things (Stefano = Alister Crane?) and now they can bring Arianna back from the dead and keep my girl Lindsay Hartley employed!

What are your thoughts on this news? Are you dreading their arrival or are you at least a little bit more optimistic than before with Dena in control? Let me know in the comments below or on twitter @soapwikijohn

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the insight J!!

    "Days of Our Passions" LOL! I love it! If we ever make a soap, I want it to be named that!

    I never watched Passions but I'm feeling optimistic. Yes, there was outrageous stuff on Passions (as you pointed out) but let's face it, JER was guiding them - it was really his vision.

    I'm excited about this change! Again, just like Guza's firing, I have to wonder if they're pulling a Lorraine Broderick/AMC. But I choose to remain on Denial Island about the whole thing for now.

    ReplyDelete