18 May 2011

Robert Guza Jr Out at General Hospital! Garin Wolf Named New Head Writer!

According to TV by the Numbers, Bob Guza is OUT and Garin Wolf is IN as Head Writer of General Hospital. The change is effective immediately. To read the full story, and what Brian Frons, head of ABC Daytime, has to say about this shocking development, click here.

As most of you know, Guza's reign of terror has lasted nearly 15 years (there was a year and a half break from Dec 2000 - June 2002 according to Wiki). Okay, okay. Perhaps 'reign of terror' is harsh, but let's just say, I've had some issues with Guza's writing over the years. Garin Wolf has also been with GH for almost 15 years, predominantly as a Breakdown Writer. Though he did serve as Head Writer during the 2007-2008 strike (from Jan 2008 - March 2008).

There's a lot of speculating going on now. Some are saying Guza was fired, others are saying he refused to take a pay cut. Many are asking what this means for the cast/characters/stories. More importantly, we have to wonder if this is a sign that GH still has life in it, or are TPTB pulling a Lorraine Broderick/AMC and simply bringing Wolf on to write GH's swan song? Only time will tell.

We'd like to wish Guza good luck in his future endeavors and what the heck...a Thank You for the good stuff he wrote: I'll forever be grateful to him for creating my favorite GH character Sam McCall (Kelly Monaco) and giving me one of my all-time favorite couples: Jason and Sam (Viva La JaSam!)

And Congrats to Garin Wolf!! I really hope Wolf is able to go balls to the wall, Gloria Monty-style as Head Writer at GH. Monty saved the show from being cancelled back in the 70s, maybe Wolf can do the same for GH now!

-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

7 comments:

  1. Guza did lots of damage, I really hope that Wolf can repair some of it..Melanie, What are your thoughts on GH's future now? Still the same end date? :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jessica, my head says 'uh oh' but my heart says 'woohoo' lol. Honestly, I feel like the decision has already been made with GH. I still think TPTB want it gone in 2012.

    But a lot can happen before then. That's why I'm really hoping Wolf can pull a Gloria Monty. If the new shows fail, if the fans keep campaigning (like you & your group!), if Wolf & JFP can slash GH's budget *and* continue to earn nice profits, and if Wolf starts writing a fantastic show and the ratings increase then *maybe*!

    What do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have hope that we can do it and if not by the time Sept 2012 rolls around we will have a brand new venue for all of the soaps to go to and continue to thrive for many years to come. These shows are far from over. Did you see Agnes Nixon's latest quote in the article where she donated the scrips to Penn's school for communication, they are writing it so the stories can continue if the shows get picked up else where. This is a fight that is far far from over!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jessica, to have a new venue for soaps is my dream! I'd love that :) I heard about Agnes donating scripts, but didn't know the details. That's awesome! And I agree, the fight isn't over!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. JFP FIRED (May 2011): Brent Shields is the new EP of GH. Work begins September 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've heard about JFP being let go, but Brent Shields? Is that the Hallmark guy?? Interesting! I'll have to check this out. Thanks for the tip!
    -Melanie/SoapOperaBabble

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had been a loyal fan of GH for years and looked forward to relaxing and watching it each day but after they started killing off main character that had rooted history with the show I decided that the writers did not care about what the fans wanted they had no interest in what we wanted to see especially after killing off little Jake that was absolutely the last straw for me! I just cant ever get over that, I remember a time when we would cry over something like this only to find out later that someone had only kidnapped our favorite character or that the explosion was just a deversion and our beloved character would return but these writers are taking our faves away for EVER!!!

    ReplyDelete