21 May 2011

Good-Bye Jax: Ingo Rademacher Fired from General Hospital!

Sad to say: It's Official. General Hospital has let go of Ingo Rademacher, who has played Jasper Jacks (better known as Jax) for 15 years. This doesn't come as a total surprise. With the constant rumors these past few months of Jax being written off, Ingo's dwindling screen time (despite his onscreen family being given a front burner story) and Nelson Branco's tweet a few days ago about an upcoming soap mag cover story announcing the departure of Brenda and Jax, well...the writing was on the wall. Ingo gave a statement to Soaps In Depth ABC regarding his departure:

"It is with mixed emotions and regret that I write this note to you, my fans and colleagues. After 15 years on GH portraying Jax I must say goodbye. I'm fired."

To read the rest of his statement, click here.

Ingo's most recent leading lady, Laura Wright (Carly) tweeted her support:

"I am so sad about the news of Ingo leaving- I hate this and i think it is a huge mistake- I am a big fan of Jax and Carly"

Ingo/Jax through the years
No doubt many General Hospital viewers agree with Laura, I certainly do. I love Jax - he's always been a great counterbalance to Sonny and the mob element on the show. Indeed, I think one of the things fans like most about Jax (and what made the Jax/Brenda/Sonny triangle so popular back in the day) was that he is the antithesis of Sonny. If Sonny was darkness, Jax was lightness. Sonny was trouble, Jax was fun. Sonny was the pitbull, Jax was the puppy. Sonny was the thug, Jax was debonair. Sonny would throw barware and call women whores, while Jax was their Prince *sigh*

Sure, I admit I didn't like the writing for Jax at times. Guza had a habit of destroying characters who went up against Sonny and Jason (Tony, AJ, Ric, Alcazar, Claudia, Faith) - though Jax isn't being killed, he couldn't completely escape Guza's poison pen. Despite the sometimes crappy writing, Ingo was always fantastic. Able to do the light romantic stuff as well as dark drama, he's always been a pleasure to watch. Ironically, even on the backburner, he's delivered some fantastic performances. Jax's concern for his daughter, his breakup with Carly and his continued hatred for Sonny have given Ingo a chance to shine again (if briefly.)  Even in scenes with Vanessa Marcil Giovinazzo, Ingo has very subtly played the lingering feelings Jax has for Brenda. (Unfortunately, I have no idea what the h*ll VMG has been playing, but that's another story...) Ingo's gift (and perhaps his curse) is that he makes it look so easy, almost effortless. He's not flashy and doesn't chew up the scenery. He's just good, damn good. And he makes us believe everything Jax says and feels.

I'm pretty sure they'll give Jax a happy ending. Riding off into the sunset with Brenda most likely. I'm glad for Jax, and I know that Ingo will move on to bigger and better things. But for me, and many GH fans out there, Port Charles is going to be a darker place without Ingo and Jax.

Want to wish Ingo well and let him know how much you've enjoyed him on GH over the years? Tweet Him!

-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

No comments:

Post a Comment