04 April 2011

Still No Answers About All My Children & One Life To Live Cancellation Rumors

Hey guys, just a quick note. While ABC confirmed that Lorraine Broderick has been hired as AMC's new headwriter, they're not confirming or denying anything else. Some of us felt this move was a good sign for AMC, but TV Guide's Michael Logan pointed out that the current headwriters Dave Kreizman and Donna Swajeski are at the end of their contracts anyway and it's possible Broderick has simply been hired to wrap up the show. (Read Logan's latest here.)

Soaps In Depth ABC posted hopeful tweets over the weekend, assuring fans AMC was not going to be cancelled and that a press release would come out today. (Read my summary of their tweets here.) Unfortunately, they seem to be backtracking a bit today.  Here are their most tweets:
  • Yes, I'm aware of every rumor floating around out there. No, I don't know which ones are true & which aren't. The MINUTE I know, you will.
  • Don't expect that this is necessarily a situation we'll have full answers to today, tomorrow or next week. I suspect it'll unfold slowly
  • While Lorraine Broderick is new headwriter of #AMC, there's much speculation that she'll be writing the end of the show. Rumors galore.
  • Folks, absolutely NOBODY (except folks in charge) KNOW what's going on. We're all hearing LOTS of rumors, many of which conflict.
  • The general concensus: It ain't good. But when I know anything — KNOW, not hear rumors — I'll pass it along, promise.
Seems they're not so sure anymore about All My Children not being cancelled. There's even less information out there about One Life to Live. I think at this point everyone is on the same page. It's do or die and this is the time for fans to write and call ABC and let them know you want your soaps to stay on the air.  I haven't seen this anywhere, this is just my own thought, but I'm wondering if an increase in online views (of AMC and OLTL episodes) at ABC's official site might help too??

I'm still looking for good AMC/OLTL campaigns to direct you to. There are tons of sites/blogs giving us info on who to contact, but I'm hoping to find a central campaign that's really organized.  Until then, I suggest going to Pine Valley Exposer or SoapOperaNetwork.

Also, if anyone is interested, Soaps In Depth ABC and Soap Central's Dan Kroll are doing a podcast "analyzing the AMC/OLTL situation." More info here.

-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

2 comments: