21 April 2011

Memorable Soap Deaths 4: BJ on General Hospital

Hey guys, I'm back with another edition of Memorable Soap Deaths! Is this a little morbid? Sure. But what can I say, I love a good cry and nothing makes me blubber like the death of a beloved character - when it's done right. Normally I pick 3 deaths, but I think I'll change things up a bit and pick 1 for each edition from now on. So...let's get ready to cry!

When It's Done Right: BJ Jones, General Hospital
I thought it was appropriate to feature BJ's death & the BJ/Maxie heart transplant story (from 1994), since Guza desperately tried to copy it for the Jake's death & Jake/Josslyn heart transplant story. While the Jake story is a failure (read my reasons why Here), the BJ story was soap opera at its best. The acting was excellent, the writing was perfect and each beat of the story was played perfectly.

After BJ is in a school bus accident, she's declared brain dead with no chance of recovery. Meanwhile, her cousin Maxie is in need of a heart transplant. BJ's parents, Tony and Bobbie, make the decision to donate BJ's heart to Maxie. This is a very abbreviated version of the story, showing only some of the high points of selected scenes. But we get some fantastic stuff here, including Frisco and Felicia (Maxie's parents) finding out their daughter will live because their niece died. *sniff* *sniff*


Click here for more:
Memorable Soap Deaths 1 - soapwikijohn's picks (EastEnders, Hollyoaks)
Memorable Soap Deaths 2 (Santa Barbara, General Hospital, One Life to Live)
Memorable Soap Deaths 3 (Loving, Young and the Restless, Guiding Light)

So what soap deaths are most memorable for you? Let us know!

-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

No comments:

Post a Comment