04 April 2011

Are All My Children and One Life to Live Being Cancelled or Not??

I don't know about you guys, but my head is spinning. Rumors of All My Children's cancellation have been picking up steam for weeks and recently, much to the surprise of many fans, One Life to Live was thrown into the mix. Was it possible that two ABC soaps were on the chopping blog? Many in the soap and mainstream media seemed to think so. Even Agnes Nixon's son-in-law, David Hiltbrand, wrote a piece for philly.com that read like a Farewell Letter to AMC (read about it here). Not a good sign.

But maybe there's hope after all? Lorraine Broderick has just been hired as new headwriter at AMC (read SOD/SOW's announcement here). And check out these Soaps In Depth ABC's tweets:
  • Great news kids: #AMC is NOT being canceled. Even better news: Lorraine Broderick is bring named headwriter. It's official.
  • No word on #OLTL. But hey, one miracle a day. Lol
  • Folks, when something's a rumor, I say so. Same when it's fact. #AMC being safe and Broderick being named headwriter? FACT.
  • it's from an ABC spokesperson. Press release will go out Monday.
While this sounds good, I'm still hearing that AMC and OLTL are in serious danger and that breaks my soap lovin' heart.  One of my biggest regrets is that I didn't campaign to save Guiding Light or As the World Turns. For too long I was in complete denial about the possibility of their cancellation, and then it was too late. I'm hoping AMC and OLTL fans realize that they have to be proactive. Even if their shows are saved at the last minute, it will be a temporary reprieve.

In the next week or so I'm going to try and post info on Save AMC/OLTL campaigns and suggestions on what fans can do to save their shows.  For now, I recommend checking out The Pine Valley Exposer's "Help Save AMC Now" post - it's got all the info you need to get started.

We need to let TPTB know we love our soaps and want to keep them on the air! If we don't fight for our shows, no one else will!

Let me know what you think!
-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

No comments:

Post a Comment