26 April 2011

Newbie Babble: EastEnders, Coronation Street, Neighbours, Hollyoaks & Emmerdale

Hi everyone! This is a bit of a random post. A few weeks ago, with the encouragement of Denial Island residents SoapWikiJohn and Brooke, I started watching UK and Aussie soaps again. I've watched EastEnders on and off for about 2 1/2 years and would occasionally catch Neighbours. I've also seen some Corrie DVDs. But that's it. My reluctance to start up with non-US soaps is that once I get into the shows, my 'supplier' suddenly disappears and I'm left hanging, desperately searching for a new 'supplier' (or should I say, desperately asking SWJ to search for a new 'supplier'). But hey, better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all. So for the last 2 weeks I've watched the UK shows EastEnders, Coronation Street, Hollyoaks, Emmerdale and the Aussie soap Neighbours.

I've got a theory on what hooks people on a soap. Sure, there's good writing, acting and quality of production but for me it's this: If there's a character I love, a character I hate and a character I have a crush on - I'm hooked! So, here's my love/hate/crush round-up for my 'new' shows (in fave to least fave order):

EastEnders:
Love: the Masoods, Whitney, Ricky, Pat and Dot
Hate: Janine, sometimes Phil
Crush: No One. Every time I get a crush on someone they leave: Jase, Sean, poor sweet Bradley :(
Random Thoughts: Despite not having anyone to drool over, I love EE. While US shows make me cry maybe twice a year, EE has me crying every few episodes. I know people think it's too dark and depressing (they have a point), but what can I say? I don't mind that lol. The Ronnie/Kat/Baby Switch story killed me. And Jack breaking down the other day? *sob*

Neighbours:
Love: Lucas, Paul, Jade (at first, I thought I hated her but...she's so scary when she's pissed and she always seems on the verge of kicking someone's ass. How can I not love her??)
Hate: There's no one I really hate, but Tash and dare I say it...Susan...get on my nerves
Crush: Lucas, Paul
Random Thoughts: I really like this show which is surprising considering how 'family friendly' it is. But with such a tiny cast are there enough women to go around?

Coronation Street:
Love: Carla (I want to be her!), Liz (why did she have to leave??), Becky (why does she have to leave??)
Hate: Frank and Chris (apparently it's ok he beat his wife because he's sorry now?), Tracy (I like the actress, but UGH I just want someone to punch the character in the face.)
Crush: Tommy (Chris Fountain is hot!)
Random Thoughts: I love that Stephanie Cole (Waiting for God) is on the show!

Emmerdale:
Love: Jackson & Hazel
Hate: The Dingles, Kelly (but she's Love to Hate)
Crush: Uhm...Carl maybe?
Random Questions: Why do so many people look like they've just stepped out of a nightclub? Why do Kelly and Nicola want Jimmy? What's with the matching mother/daughter trailer trash look of the Dingle Dopes?

Hollyoaks:
Love: no one yet
Hate: uhm..Warren maybe? Brendan maybe?
Crush: uhm...Warren maybe?
Random Thoughts: I don't mind watching the show but nothing has really pulled me in yet. I'm also having trouble keeping everyone straight, especially the women. I do like the theme and opening credits. And hey, there's an American! I'm also intrigued/frightened by Brendan.

Which UK/Aussie soaps do you watch? Who do you love/hate/have a crush on?
-Melanie/SoapOperaBabble/daisyclover

3 comments:

  1. oops, wanted to add - I just watched the ep where Warren threatens to 'out' Brendan and 'hurt' Stephen (is that his name?) so Brendan kisses Stephen and tells Warren "I'm done with him, do what you want." Wow, lol!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You don't like my Susan? That's it, you're FIRED! (not really *hugs*)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry! I know I *should* like her!! Don't banish me from Denial Island please!! lol

    ReplyDelete