10 February 2012

Ragged Isle Episode 2 Recap and Reactions


To say I went a little hard on the premiere of the SFN drama Ragged Isle would be probably the biggest understatement ever made on this blog, or probably in the world, but I stand by my initial thoughts that I posted last week, and I still believe that it is best to be honest when talking about these productions, because they ARE the future of the entertainment medium and instead of building relationships off of lies and coddling I would rather build them on truth and honesty.

With that said now that I have had another trip to Ragged Isle, not to mention a week to get to let the initial episode sit and compare to the initial episodes of DeVanity and Pretty did my impression change any?


The episode picks up with Vicki Burke (Meghan Benton) at the house- she's trying to keep herself entertained while her brother Eric is off on his "errand", she eventually gets fed up and leaves.

Vicki then in Victoria Winters fashion introduces the episode "My Name is Vicki Burke'...

As Vicki walks over to another house a strange man tries to warn her from going into the house, but he says never mind, and Vicki walks in. Once inside she hears shouting, but she continues in, and she meets a psychic, Madame Clelia (Kathryn Morrison), and a man. The man (who we later find out is Shaw) says "He'd have thought her brother would have warned her away from this place."

Vicki then gets a free reading from the psychic, who gave her a necklas to hold onto for a special time. As the psychic begins her reading she tells Vicki she's on the right path, but its going to be dangerous, she's going to see things that she shouldn't see. She then starts a trans, but snaps out of it.

Shaw than gets into it with another guy- who went to the far side of the island where the psychic sent him, and Shaw is mad, they then see Eric and co stumbling past.

Over at the bar Sheriff Dalton and Rachel Moody are talking about the day, the Sheriff leaves to use the restroom as Eric and co walk in. Rachel explains they are closing up for the night but Eric says they have had a long night, so Rachel agrees to one round. She asks what's up with the wet guy (- Answer- His friends didn't love him enough to get him some clean dry clothes!) and he just says "I remember this place" with a close up to his face. Sheriff comes out and talks a bit, followed by Shaw coming in and interrogating them.

The guys leave the bar, and are being watched as the screen fades into the credits.

Okay reactions: This was a slow character building episode that really just introduced us to more of the island through Vicki's roaming around / Eric doing the same. I think the episode was beautifully shot! and as much as I would love to say "I'm IN!" but I'm not. No matter how much I wanna be I am just not hooked on this show, and I don't really know what it is that is holding me back, the slow pace of this episode and the length of the scenes was perfect, I like slow building stories and things of this nature (I LOVED Invasion on ABC and more than anything that is the vibe I feel like I am getting here from this show at the moment with a Dark Shadows twist to it).

I think what I am waiting for is that "character" and story that I will latch myself onto and be able to see the world through their eyes because I can relate to them in some form or fashion. Right now I don't have that. As a result the show doesn't have me. I REALLY think it will, I think Eric is by far my favorite character on the show- and there is a LOT of potential there to flesh things out, but as 'character' driven as this episode in particular was, it still felt kinda like a 'pilot' episode where its still setting all the pieces in place and waiting for them all to be in place before it can build on these people's relationships (IE: the thing that tends to get me hooked on shows LOL)

So that's just me, I know it's not exactly the outcome I was hoping for either, but I did like what the episode was doing, and I fully expect to come around by the end / season 2, but for now it's just a show I watch...

Did you like episode 2 of Ragged Isle? If so what about it? Or are you still waiting to be hooked like I am? Let me know in the comments below or on twitter @Soapwikijohn

No comments:

Post a Comment