10 February 2012

Catherine Hickland Says "Soap Fans Are Being Heard"



Interesting - former One Life To Live actress Catherine Hickland rally's fans saying that they are being heard by people in charge, especially at other networks, and that there is still a possibility of these shows coming back.

Now was this just wishful thinking and trying to put herself in a good light or is there actually a shot at these shows returning? I would love to be an optimist and say "there is always a chance" but at the same time I kinda feel like the optimum time for One Life to Live to have returned has past, and that while there are still fans out there that would follow it, the show has lost the momentum it would have had, if Prospect park had continued on with their efforts.

What do you think? Do you think the shows will come back or is it all done? Let me know in the coments below

2 comments:

  1. I don't do anything to out myself in a good light. I don't want anything out of this. I kind of like living on Denial Island myself every now and then, but what I am saying is true.
    However, what you can't hear because of the poor connection is that the rights to these shows are tied up and this is a huge issue. You may be right about momentum, as momentum is everything, but my main point is that the viewers have made a huge impact with their passionate noise. Keep on Keeping on..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Cat,

    So sorry for the delay in replying, I have been swamped with offline work and unable to come on here at all.

    First- I LOVE your work and I am really thankful that you are keeping up the fight.

    By "painting yourself in a good light" I guess the pessimist in me came out and looked at this as a long term chess match. In my eyes these shows are dead. I LOVE THEM and would pay to see them again, but paying didn't help keep my Passions on the air, and I have been burnt by executives and the "it will come back" campaigns over and over again during the past few years, and then with Prospect debacle it just is a mess.

    I DO believe that viewers have made an impact, and I think that is in part why Nick has picked up the new telenovela Reach For a Star. But getting these shows (OLTL/AMC) back on the air just seems like a pipe dream.

    And by "good light" - I think what I was going for overall was the fact that by continuing to rally fans I think more than any other star YOU have built a fanbase out of the ashes of these shows, and they will now follow you anywhere that you were to go in your career, be it another soap, primetime, movies, plays, etc. That is by no means a BAD thing, but I think I have just become jaded by being so brutally beat down by these networks time and again, show after show, that when I hear anyone rallying up fans and getting people's hopes up again, the 'realist' in me just comes out and shakes his head saying "really? Here we go again"

    Anyways thank you so much for commenting on the blog, it means a LOT to me. I do understand that the rights are definitely a huge issue right now, and I do truly hope that the show comes back (and if it does they BETTER offer you a contract (which YOU could decide to take or decline but they better offer it!)) but I really don't think I will believe it until I see the opening credits role again on my screen.

    Again thank you for commenting! Take care and keep up the great work!

    ~John

    ReplyDelete