04 February 2012

Pretty The Series Season 1: Recap and Review!



When I was trying to decide what websoap to cover next after Ragged Isle, I saw a tweet about Pretty: The Series 3rd season finale airing soon! So I thought what the heck and decided to check it out. (YES I am also watching Devanity slowly and will probably have the season 1 recap and review for that series done shortly)

So without further ado, let's get pretty.


Michael Champaign is a full time pageant dad who loves Disney, he has a '5 year old daughter' named Annett.

He is married to Ribina - she is a professional smoker - she gets paid to smoke....

The first season basically consist of Annett participating in the "Stary eyed competition"- during which her mother Ribina has an affair with her uncle Ethan, while Micheal flirts with the male co-chair and Annette flashes everyone...


This leads to a press conference where the pageant states that they do not endorse what has happened but after a discussion with the family, aka the uncle and her had some fun in the bathroom, Annette has been reinstated.

Annette tells her daddy that she doesn't want to be in the competition anymore, but he cries and she is persuaded to do it...at least that's what Michael thinks, when he wakes up however he realizes that Annette is missing!!!!


The cameras later show that she is at the beach, where she wanted to go instead of the pageant.

Thankfully Ribina and Ethan find her and bring her back in time (thanks to the co-chair blackmailing the president with pictures of her and Ethan in the bathroom).


After performing a speech proclaiming herself a "proud black woman" the judges render the decision and the winner of the miss starry eyes competition is...

To Be Continued! *GASP!*



Okay so the way I want to review this is in a couple of factors 1) Production, 2) Writing, 3) Acting, and 4) Overall Quality.

1- Production wise the show was alright. It was obviously working on a shoe-string budget, but it didn't take anything away from my overall enjoyment of the show. A few episodes seemed a bit blown out (you could see the sunlight was effecting the shoot for whatever reason), but because of the nature of the show (having it be a 'mockumentary') some of my other gripes got looked over because they could easily be explained as 'part of the show'

2- Writing- This one is a little bit harder. As I said in the Ragged Isle's review I do find the shorter episode format to be really trying for me to connect and care about these characters. The whole 'season' felt like a pilot for something bigger, only in need of a few tweaks. This however helped it because I did watch it back to back, thus I did 'connect' on some small level to these characters and kinda wanted to see what happened.

With that said, I did only laugh at a few jokes, but I don't know if that was necessarily bad writing or just the fact that different people's taste in humor varies.

3- Acting- They did the best they could with what they were given. Due to the nature of the show and the overall length of the entire first season being just 25 minutes there wasn't a lot of 'acting' to do, no real scenes to carry on ones back because the scenes had to move at such a rapid pace. With that said I did enjoy some of the acting and I am interested in seeing more.

4- Overall Quality - Okay What Pretty is trying to accomplish is interesting, a scripted version of Toddlers & Tiaras but with a twist. I would just like to see things developed and fleshed out more, I need more time with the characters as a whole to really get into things. I did laugh at a few points, but at others I just stared blankly like "really?" "seen that 'sex in the back of a car' joke how many times?", etc, etc. But I do think that Pretty has some Pretty good potential.

So while I gear up to watch season two in anticipation of the third season finale, what did you guys think of the first season of Pretty? Was it good? Did you enjoy it? And better question is did you watch week to week or once the entire season was released? I think it is a LOT easier to marathon a season than watch the show week to week, because if I were to analyze each individual episode I think a LOT of the flaws that I found in Ragged Isle would have been present here as well... But hey that's just me. Let me know what you think in the comments below or on twitter @SoapWikiJohn

No comments:

Post a Comment